YLSS takes you behind the scenes for an insider's view of our community.
The program begins with an evening induction and Saturday half-day retreat in August. Then the class explores Sandy Springs through six interactive programs in September, October, November, February, March and April.
To keep students from missing the same classes each month, meeting days and times will vary.
In YLSS, students:
- Meet at City Hall to get a close-up look at city government.
- Step into the courtroom as attorneys, witnesses or jurors for a mock trial.
- Grab cell phones for a scavenger hunt discovering never-seen-before places in Sandy Springs.
- Envision a new town center for Sandy Springs by working with city planners, architects and major developers.
- Crawl on the floor with preschoolers, stock a food bank or do crafts with senior citizens for a look at the nonprofits that serve others in our community.
- Investigate environmental issues along the Chattahoochee River.
- Go to jail and behind the scenes at the police department.
- Take the stage for an improv comedy workshop.
- To conclude the year, YLSS students will pick and execute a group service project.